Monday, February 15, 2010

Drawing The Line - Don't Let Your Competence and Generosity Make You a Target For Abuse.

Share this ARTICLE with your colleagues on LinkedIn .



Drawing The Line.

If you should have the misfortune of being competent and word of your ability gets out...if you should be generous, and word of your generosity escapes...you will invariably find yourself at the very bottom of a heavy and malodorous pile of compost comprised other people's problems, burdens, errands and favors. You might feel guilty. You may feel overwhelmed.

Eventually this can lead to a growing malignancy of resentment and anger. Don't explode! Unload.

The problem is caused by limitless acceptance of responsibility, and the fault is in your failure to communicate your limitations to those who have become overly-dependent upon you. You may have even helped to inculcate a feeling of entitlement in these people. This pattern helps neither your, nor those who depend upon you. All parties are weakened by it.

Draw the line, and learn to guard it. Your sanity might be of benefit to everybody.

Here's an example of a proclamation, wherein a line is drawn:

Dear Family, Friends, Colleagues and Hard-Won Clients:

I have drawn a line, and you are treading close to it. I am nobody's clerk. I am nobody's errand boy. I am nobody's servant. I have no further interest in yielding to anybody else's priorities, agendas or problems. Mine must come first. I will accommodate you when, as and if I have adequate time and resources.

Life is filled with deadlines, responsibilities and emergencies. They cannot all be mine. 

I am asking you to be more self-sufficient and enterprising, and to be as respectful of my needs as I am of yours. Thank you.

Respectfully, and finally,

Douglas

p.s. Perhaps the problem can be solved by more self-reliance, more staffing for assistance and delegation, and by letting me do the things that are most important to my life and my mission, for our collective benefit.


COMMENT On This Article!
Comments to Douglas Castle
About Douglas Castle 
Douglas Castle - LinkedIn Profile
The National Networker Companies
Braintenance - Stay razor sharp.
The Internationalist Page - A world without barriers.
The Global Futurist - Revealing trends.
Taking Command! - Mastering your fate.
Follow Castle on Twitter 
Follow TNNW on Twitter
Follow Braintenance on Twitter
*Subscribe (free!) for The National Networker Newsletter and the BLUE TUESDAY REPORT, and join The TNNWC GICBC at Join Us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG ARCHIVE

Bookmark and Share