Wednesday, April 20, 2011

When A Leader, Manager or Commander Apologizes Is It A Sign Of Weakness?

Share this ARTICLE with your colleagues on LinkedIn .



I once had the honor of recruiting a chairman for a company which I later joined (as a member of the board of directors) and which later became publicly-traded through my successful efforts with an investment banking firm.


That chairman was a contemptible, know-it-all type of ornery son-of-a-gun, but he had COMMAND. Everyone respected him. Everyone was intimidated by him. Everyone wanted his praise, which was rare.


He was manipulative, I grew to dislike him as time went by, but I LEARNED from him. He told me a thousand truths, but he also told me two things that turned out to either be "conditional" truths or out and out lies.


Here they are:


1. "Lose your sense of humor. People don't respect someone who isn't dead serious." - My sense of humor has enabled to befriend some important people, de-fuse some politically volatile situations, and to get the truth from people who would ordinarily hesitate to confide in someone of a higher rank, or in a position of authority over them.


2. "Never apologize. Never. It's a sign of weakness." - I have the respect of my colleagues not because I beg forgiveness, and palliate, and assuage them, but because I have the self-confidence and the integrity to own up to my actions, and their consequences.


That chairman is not a friend of mine. But I learned from him. And I eventually learned more from my own experiences and observations than he had taught me.  -DC

Now for the post:

Dear Readers (Entrepreneurs, TNNWC Members, Colleagues, Business Leaders, Innovators, Project Managers, Commanders of Growing Companies, Braintenancers, Global Futurists, Internationalists, Marketers, Trend-Watchers, Trend-Setters, and Friends):

Subject: Douglas Castle Apologies for An Annoying Technical Glitch.

Q: Conspiracy or Catastrophic Compound Error? It's simple. I am not certain whether it was due to a deadly conspiracy involving a collaborative effort among Twitterfeed, Hellotxt and Ping, or whether it was the result of an extremely unlikely catastrophic compound error (Do I sound paranoid? Are you talkin' to me?), but my status updates have been prodigiously posting themselves to many of my blogs without my knowledge or consent. Since this began two days ago, I have had a "Blue Ribbon Panel" of "experts" working on solving the problem, and after much debate (mostly over who would be responsible to pay for lunches, and how much of a gratuity we should give the delivery kid), they have assured me that the mechanism has been repaired. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you, and I thank you for your patience and for reading me and my guest contributors. Faithfully, and in the spirit of friendship, Douglas Castle http://aboutDouglasCastle.blogspot.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/douglascastle http://www.linkedin.com/company/TNNWC http://www.TNNWC.com (the official website, soon to be released in Visionary Version 3.0 – please stay tuned!) Douglas Castle’s Blogs And RSS Feeds  For a complete list, click on the RSS icon.

Powered By TNNWC Group
For complete tactical and strategic business planning, marketing, media, lead-generation, technological and capital resources, scalable solutions and tools to support every entrepreneurial start-up, young enterprise, small- to medium-sized business and emerging high-growth company, talk to The National Networker Companies™/ TNNWC Group, LLC.

We are a collaborative entrepreneurial, creative organization offering you hands-on, personalized assistance in every aspect of achieving your monetization, profitability and financial sustainability objectives, domestically and globally.

We don’t just coach you or offer you pre-packaged, push-button solutions – we listen to you, analyze your exact needs, and work within your budget to: 1) create your tool kit and 2) work as your partner to implement your plan by supporting you in the most efficient and productive use of every tool.

Visit our website, which is located at http://www.TNNWC.com .

To receive our newsletters, publications, information bulletins and alerts, simply join us as a Member. Membership is free and the benefits are unequalled anywhere.

Just go to our home page, and click on the “JOIN US” button.


---------------

TAKING COMMAND! - http://takingcommand.blogspot.com/

Douglas Castle -
Background, Blogs and Sites

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG ARCHIVE

Bookmark and Share